The Ultimate Cheat Sheet
Why should you be concerned of the way you look?
There are plenty of reasons! Dressing the part plays a major role in many aspects of your life. Think about your work, your romantic life and your day to day activities.
cheat sheet It’s all about perception, I’ve seen many people get promoted simply due to the fact that they have always looked professional. Maybe looking professional didn’t get them the job but at least it got them the interview! Most women also appreciate a man who knows how to dress, it makes them feel like their man is confident and accomplished. Perception is key in day to day activities and the way you dress has a huge impact on it.
It’s a proven fact that it takes only 30 seconds for someone to make up their mind on what they think about you. Imagine if you look like a clown? I’m sure you get the picture.
We should all take advantage of this and make sure we look our best in our day to day activities in case we have a chance for that special promotion, in case we meet that special someone, or simply just to look and feel fantastic!
Here is a list of tips to help you and fashion mistakes to avoid!
1. Socks should match your pants. Easy as 1, 2, 3.
2. Belts should match your shoes. Not every one is color blind like you;).
3. Never wear both a belt and suspenders. The combination makes you appear less confident – you big wuss.
4. Ties should reach your belt line. This is simply the rule. A short tie makes you look like a dufus.
5. Properly knotted ties have a “dimple” under the knot. Sort of like one of Mario Lopez’s cheeks… Btw, Clips and tacks are out of date.
6. Your shoes should be clean, shined, repaired and appropriate for the occasion. If you are wearing a suit, wear lace-up shoes. Don’t forget to keep shoetrees in your shoes when you’re not wearing them.
7. Don’t wear a short sleeve shirt in combination with a tie. Actually, never wear a short sleeve shirt period. People have the perception that short sleeve shirts are only worn by lower class people. You can wear one if you want to be a McDonald’s manager, not if you want to exude a professional look.
8. The Button-Down collar dress shirt is simply not suitable for dressy formal wear nor with a double-breasted suit. Why? Well even though it’s now a business classic during the day, it was originally a sport shirt worn by polo players.
9. Wear the right size pants ok? Pants are long enough if they have a slight break in the front. Pants should have enough length to cover up your socks, and your socks should be long enough to cover your shins even when you’re legs are crossed. Pleats and cuffs both should be treated with respect. Pleats let you walk comfortably while looking professional and help a bigger man look great while cuffs will add weight to the bottoms of your pants sometimes giving them the perfect drape.
10. Socks with Sandals. Even if you live in Maine, don’t do it – you’ll look like a schmuck.
11. Chunky Shoes. Lose them, the Axel Rose era is over.
12. Backpacks. Alright, maybe this is just a minor mistake, but you’re trying to climb the corporate ladder, not hike up mount everest.
13. Clashing or too many colors. Do you really want to look like a gay pride flag? Stick to complementary colors (those opposite from each other on the color wheel) or colors from the same pallet. You can find one on the web very easily by searching on Google!
14. Ponytails. You’re not the rock star of your office. Spend the 20$ for a haircut, you can afford it.
15. Too much jewelry. Put the jewelry away P. Diddy or should we call you Puff Daddy? If you want to wear jewelry, opt for a classy pair of designer cufflinks.
16. Comb-overs. These shout insecurity. Shave it, lose it or cover it.